- Category: Legislation
As most of you are aware, it is CBEA's mantra that only those courses/programs that are required, funded and measured are valued in California's public education system.
Here are a few headlines you might be interested in:
- GetREAL's Response to Governor Brown's 2013 CTE Budget Proposal
- Report Questions Impact of Brown's Finance Formula on Career Tech
- Fred Jones' interview with Bill Cullifer about CBEA's influence on CTE in Sacramento (online video)
Key CTE Legislation (updated 5/17/13)
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER Regarding Changes to
the Academic Performance Index for High Schools
REGIONAL MEETINGS ON NEW INDICATORS IN THE HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE INDEX (API)
Below is a list of regional meeting opportunities to weigh-in on Senate Bill 1458 (Steinberg) implementation—the bill to include additional career preparation indicators in high school Academic Performance Index (API) scoring. I hope you take the opportunity to attend one of these events (either going to one of the public meetings or sending an email).
The Analysis, Measurement, and Accountability Reporting Division (AMARD) is hosting these meetings during the months of April/May 2013 to seek input from the public, stakeholders, and all interested parties regarding the upcoming changes to the high school Academic Performance Index (API).
In September 2012, the legislature and governor passed and signed Senate Bill 1458 which requires that by the 2015–16 API cycle, the state assessment results may only constitute 60 percent of a high school’s API and the remaining 40 percent be from indicators other than state assessments, such as college and career and graduation data.
All Californians have several opportunities to provide their thoughts and suggestions for the incorporation of graduation data, and the college and career indicator. The California Department of Education (CDE) will be obtaining feedback through various venues. The regional meetings are one opportunity for the public to provide comments on adding new data to the high school API. Information gathered from the regional meetings will be used in the development of a survey which will be posted on the CDE Web site for interested stakeholders to complete. (Additional information regarding the survey will be provided at a later date.)
In addition, the CDE has been meeting with the Public Schools Accountability Act (PSAA) Advisory Committee on a regular basis to review options for incorporating new indicators. These meetings are open to the public and are broadcasted live.
To obtain informational updates that have been presented to the State Board of Education (SBE) regarding the implementation of new indicators, please visit SBE Current & Past Agendas web page, specifically January and March 2013 meetings.
For information on the locations, dates, and times of the regional meetings, please visit the API 2013 Regional Meetings Web page. Please note: registration is not required to attend any of these regional meetings.
CBEA Legislative Chair
To track any bill, including reading their texts, go to: www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html